[Mailman-Developers] Common use case archiving via configuration

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Mar 22 16:23:44 CET 2015

Andrew Stuart writes:

 > Specifically if would be good if a Mailman admin could define in
 > the Mailman config file a set of destination email addresses and
 > POST urls that archive messages are sent to. This would meet many
 > common archiving needs via configuration instead of code.

I think this is a good idea but it scares me.  Every archiver is a
little bit different, and it's not obvious to me that generic mailto:
and http: POST urls are sufficient to cover the kinds of things that
archivers might want to do.  It could be a noticable maintenance burden.

That said, besides mailto and POST, there's NNTP (Gmane, at least),
although NNTP also seems likely to need an incoming gateway as well.