[Mailman-Developers] Small change to REST API for held subscription requests

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au
Mon Mar 23 10:39:06 CET 2015

Any thoughts on how we could integrate with LDAP?

I’d be happy to authenticate against LDAP but that leaves the open question of how to synchronize the Mailman user database with the LDAP server.

Maybe of Mailman had some sort of event notification hook system for when users add/edit/delete.  Or if there was some sort of generalised message bus within the system that funnels messages about changes to the user database.  Something sort of LDAP synch process could then use those to synchronise an LDAP database. An event hook or message queue would allow changes to the users to be immediately pushed into LDAP.

Maybe the other possibility is some sort of direct integration such that Mailman, if given details of an LDAP server, can directly make changes to the LDAP system each time a user is added/edited/deleted.

There was some discussion about LDAP integration here:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2015-February/024412.html

LDAP seems like a pretty configuration heavy thing to put in to a standlone Mailman system.  I’m currently researching to find some sort of minimla/lightweight LDAP integration approach.

as

On 23 Mar 2015, at 9:46 am, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

On Mar 23, 2015, at 09:34 AM, Andrew Stuart wrote:

> How would user passwords work if not stored in the core?
>
> When someone logs in currently I just ask the core if the password is valid
> and off we go.

WFM.  As I said, the core doesn't (currently) use it, but certainly it's
available through the REST API, so if REST clients need it, we'll keep it.