[Mailman-Developers] Common use case archiving via configuration

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au
Tue Mar 24 05:14:45 CET 2015

Thanks Aurélien

Would you mind if I used the Hyperkitty POST code as the basis for an example POST archiver for Mailman?

i.e. this:
https://github.com/hyperkitty/mailman-hyperkitty/blob/master/mailman_hyperkitty/__init__.py

I’m happy to rewrite from scratch but it seems to make sense to use what you have.

as

On 24 Mar 2015, at 12:45 pm, Aurelien Bompard <aurelien at bompard.org> wrote:

> Aurelien I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this topic.

Well, the implementation of the archiver for HyperKitty does POST to
archive emails :
https://github.com/hyperkitty/mailman-hyperkitty/blob/master/mailman_hyperkitty/__init__.py
However, there are a few things specific to HyperKitty:
- authentication is done via a shared API key, it was easier than HTTP
basic auth because those tokens are not passed to the WSGI application
by default (at least not in Apache's mod_wsgi):
https://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ConfigurationDirectives#WSGIPassAuthorization
- when requesting a message URL, the server only replies with the
"local" part, the server name is taken from the configuration. The
reason is that the client usually talks over localhost, and we want
the front-facing server name.

Doing something more generic is possible but would be a bit harder,
and the current archiving plugin is still rather short.
I'm not sure we can design an HTTP API for every need at the moment.

Aurélien