[Mailman-Developers] Please add multipart/signed to DEFAULT_PASS_MIME_TYPES

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Nov 19 03:00:21 EST 2015

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez writes:

 > Instead, you suggest to just add [ 'multipart' ] to the list. I
 > have 2 questions:
 >  - Will 'multipart' match all the 3 previous multipart/variations?

Yes.

 >  - Is there any multipart/variation that we shouldn't allow by default?

The only other multipart I can think of offhand is multipart/related.
Let's see what Google turns up: multipart/form-data (probably
shouldn't be allowed, but very unlikely to show up except perhaps in
an attack), multiport/report (used for email reports such as delivery
status notifications, but it's basically multipart/mixed -- not a
problem that I can see, but perhaps should trigger administrivia
filters), and multipart/encrypted.  There is also at least one that is
mostly useful in HTTP (multipart/byteranges).

 > Sounds like a good idea, probably is also worth including
 > message/rfc822 in the default list of accepted mime types.

That's a definite "maybe".  There are known to be MUAs that can't
handle embedded messages.  (That's why we can't recommend "Wrap
Message" as the standard workaround for DMARC.)