[Mailman-Developers] Off topic : Regarding Python

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 9 18:17:50 CEST 2015

On 10/08/2015 11:40 PM, Aswin kumar wrote:

> I am new to python programming language and I saw that there are two
> versions python2 and python3. Which one should I start learning ? Should I
> learn python2 first and then switch to python 3? I am asking this question
> here as maiman3 has switched to python3 , but some other projects still
> stick to python2, so I am kind of confused which version to start with.

Definitely start with Python 3.

There is still much legacy Python 2 code, and many projects have a hard
time porting to Python 3 because of dependencies on other packages which
are still Python 2, but the future is Python 3, and any new code is best
as Python 3.

The only reason to learn Python 2 at this point is if you are tasked
with supporting a legacy Python 2 project.