[Mailman-Developers] User-centric authentication and access control

Simon Hanna simon.hanna at serve-me.info
Thu Sep 3 02:26:01 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 09:02:00PM -0400, Waldbieser, Carl wrote:

> I am currently using Mailman 2.
> If Mailman 3 provides the features I am interested in, that would be great, provided there is some kind of well-defined upgrade path.
AFAIK the official statement is that Mailman 3.1 will provide upgrade paths from 2.x
I would wait for the 3.1 release...

> I am a bit confused as to what the various components in Mailman 3 are.  Is the web interface to Mailman 3 based on Django?  Is that Postorius?
Correct. Mailman itself is just the core. The core exposes a REST interface.
There is a client implementation for python (mailman-client).
A Nodejs client is in the works AFAIK.
You can use these to build your own UI.
Or you could use postorius for that.
It is based on django and uses mailman-client to interact with the core.

> And if Django is allows you to do user management, where does Mailmania fit into that landscape?
>
> Would I be correct in assuming that if I wanted to use say, CAS authentication for Mailman 3, I could just use a Django middleware like this?
>
>     https://bitbucket.org/cpcc/django-cas/overview

That is probably correct. I personally have not yet included
other authentication backends to django,
but the process should be rather easy.
Django has ver good documentation online.
Including an LDAP backend should be standard enough for numerous tutorials to be out there.
You just have to search for integrating different Backends into postorius.
Postorius itself is actually doing this. Persona is used as the main Authentication Backend.

Hyperkitty (yet another module) which is responsible for serving Archives of Lists
even includes more Authentication Backends.
That code should show you what you need to do, to add further Backends.