[Mailman-Developers] Let's try to package mailman3 in Debian!

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Sep 11 04:26:44 CEST 2015

Pierre-Elliott Bécue writes:

 > It seems that if I want to have a good source package, I need 5 repos :
 >
 >  - Mailman
 >  - HyperKitty
 >  - Postorius
 >  - HyperKitty - MailMan Plugin
 >  - MailmanClient

In the spirit of the refactoring, I would say mailman-core (mailman +
mailmanclient), hyperkitty, and postorious should be three separate
packages in Debian.  Exactly which repos are needed, I'm not sure.

Mailman3 (or mailman-suite) would be a trivial package that depends on
all of the above.

 > My first question is "Am I right?". And the second one is whould I
 > consider looking into mailman-suite-doc and also have it in the
 > source package?

No, Debian breaks out doc packages anyway.  I think as long as
upstream is a separate repo, you may as well just have a separate
source package for mailman-suite-doc, too.

 > On another way, I also see that there is a standalone postorius repo and
 > also some django project files for HyperKitty in another one. I have the
 > impression it is more designed for people to work on as standalone -
 > forkable projects for other features, and so I wouldn't need them in a
 > Debian package.

No, IIRC these are variants which don't need a separate webserver such
as Apache (convenient for testing), but they're still closely tied to
mailman core and mailmanclient.