[Mailman-Developers] [MM3-users] Re: Mailman 3.1 beta coming soon

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Tue Dec 13 00:34:24 EST 2016

On 2016-12-12 12:29 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Barry Warsaw writes:
>
>  > >I can also work on Postorius. Also in this vein I have a question.
>  > >Should the DMARC settings be added to the Alter Messages tab in the List
>  > >Settings view or would it be better to have a separate DMARC Mitigations
>  > >tab.
>  >
>  > My gut reaction is to add a separate DMARC Mitigations tab, but Florian and
>  > Terri have final say I think.
>
> I would find it more natural to have "Posting Policy" (which would
> include posting filters on size and list membership, as well as
> message alterations such as removing .exe files and enforcing plain
> text by removing or rendering HTML parts), and "Malware Mitigation",
> which would include IP, domain, and mailbox filters as well as DMARC.
> I think DMARC mitigation is probably too special to deserve its own
> tab.

Alter messages tab works for me, but DMARC is kind of a big enough deal
(as far as mail delivery goes) and sufficiently different that I agree
with Mark that it's not unreasonable to give it a separate tab.   I'd be
willing to start it on its own and move it if we're getting too
cluttered later, as long as we document it in the release notes when we
do. Florian, what do you think?

> Probably this is way too much reorganization to do at this point, but
> I'd like to keep this point in mind.  We are already getting reports
> that configuration options are hard to find just because it's
> different from Mailman 2.  I suspect that the REST API is sufficiently
> flexible and regular that we'll be tempted to proliferate options, so
> let's try to keep them organized.

We also get reports that mailman 2.1 options are hard to find -- I think
I personally help someone find something at least once a month (on irc,
in person, or by email) for the past decade. :)  I imagine Mark has
answered a lot more of those than I have.

The big thing I want is good documentation here.  There's never going to
be an organization that works for everyone, but an easily searchable
document with all the options would make a big difference.  I only got
to that level with the user docs not the list admin docs in 2.1