[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3: some non member allowed to post on a mailing list

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Jan 6 18:20:33 EST 2016

On Jan 06, 2016, at 04:12 PM, Étienne Loks via Mailman-Developers wrote:

>I'm beginning to use mailman 3.  One of the nice feature in mailman 2 was the
>ability to allow specific non-member of a list to post in it.
>
>I don't find a way to do this in mailman 3 and as far as I understand this
>page
>http://www.pythonhosted.org/mailman/src/mailman/model/docs/membership.html it
>seems that there is no automatic way of dealing with this.

This is really what you want to read.  There's a new 'nonmember' rule that
checks for posting conditions described here:

http://mailman.readthedocs.org/en/release-3.0/src/mailman/chains/docs/moderation.html#nonmembers

"Members" are users or addresses subscribed to mailing lists, and every member
has a role and a moderation_action.  "Non-member" is a valid role.  So the
idea is that you "subscribe" a non-member to a mailing list and give them a
moderation_action of 'accept'.  Then their postings won't be held for
approval.

Mailman 3 also supports the legacy *_these_nonmember fields,
e.g. accept_these_nonmembers, which must contain email addresses or, if the
string starts with a ^ it's interpreted as a regular express, just as with
Mailman 2.1.

Cheers,