[Mailman-Developers] Getting Started

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Tue Jan 12 01:11:34 EST 2016

On 2016-01-10 7:10 PM, Abhilash Raj wrote:
>  After you think you know enough about
> Mailman, you can then try to fix some small easy bugs in Mailman core or
> any of its sister projects (Postorius - the Web UI, Hyperkitty - the
> Archiver, Client - Python bindings). There might be less number or bugs
> actually tagged "easy" or "beginner friendly", but you can explore other
> bugs too. If you have any problems/questions, ask questions here or on
> #mailman on Freenode(IRC).

Also, if you aren't finding bugs that suit you, you might want to
consider adding tests.  Since our test suites are relatively young,
there's definitely some common use-cases missing that you could write.

For example, the postorius tests can be found here:
https://gitlab.com/mailman/postorius/tree/master/src/postorius/tests

And here's a scenario without a test: What happens if the address you're
trying to subscribe is on the banned list?  Answer, it should fail to
subscribe you, and give an appropriate error message.  But if you look
in ListSubscribeTest under
https://gitlab.com/mailman/postorius/blob/master/src/postorius/tests/test_forms.py
you'll see that we test invalid emails but not banned ones.

I've filed an issue for this here:
https://gitlab.com/mailman/postorius/issues/80
So if anyone wants to write this test case, you can claim that bug so
everyone knows you're working on it!

Making test cases that would catch recent bugs is a good way to get
started if you can't think of any missing test cases on your own, too:

Here's one that recently came up in a Postorius bug: what happens if you
log in as a moderator using an alternative email address?  The user
*should* still see the moderation interface, but due to the bug you
didn't -- a test case could have caught this!

I leave checking to see if we have a test case for this and filing an
issue if we don't as an exercise to the reader. ;)

  Terri