[Mailman-Developers] Yet another newbie to the "Mailman"

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 20:23:34 EST 2016

Hi Tarunjit,

On 01/24/2016 08:38 PM, Tarunjit Singh wrote:
> Hi Fellow Developers,
>
> I am a graduate student at University of Toronto, Canada who likes to code
> (mainly in python).
> I just started to get to know the Mailman product by studying its
> architecture available on Aosabook <http://www.aosabook.org/en/mailman.html>

Awesome! That particular article really sums up the architecture of
Mailman. If you want to know more, look at Barry's talk/notes from PyCon
2012.

> and I am looking forward to contribute to the organization. After reading
> some of the email chains, I am assuming the best place to start is by
> looking into issues available here
> <https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/issues/> once I have a better
> understanding on the product but any newbie advice/guidance is welcome.

Yes, you are on the right track. Try looking for issues that are marked
"easy" or "beginner-friendly", though there aren't many. You can look
for bugs in Postorius[1] or Hyperkitty[2] too if you like. They feed
upon the REST API from the core and are Django based front-end and
archiver respectively.

Also, instead of solving some random bugs, you can also find a
particular project from the ideas page that interests you and try
solving some easy but small "parts" of the project that you can submit
as an independent patch. Even if you don't end up working on that
project, it would help you to know the wiring[*] inside mailman a lot
better.

[1]: https://gitlab.com/mailman/postorius/issues
[2]: https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty/issues

[*]: There is a lot of wiring and moving parts in mailman. So feel free
about asking about anything that don't understand, even if its very trivial.