[Mailman-Developers] Postorius: Search Plugin for List

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Jun 12 11:56:58 EDT 2016

Khushbu Parakh writes:

 > I am working on search plugin for lists

You're proposing to find information about lists, not posts, right?
What search criteria do you propose?  Just name ~= posting address ~=
List-Id?

 > and wondering what would be the best approach, using Ajax

Think about why you use AJAX.  AJAX makes the most sense when you have
large data that can be updated in pieces, or when you have interactive
work that needs to be done on the server.  (Javascript can be used
entirely browser-side to improve UI interactivity, but that's not
really AJAX.)

Does your proposed plugin fit either of those categories?  Do  you
envision generalization that would fit?

I don't know how true it is these days, but traditionally Mailman has
been used by many folks who refuse to use Javascript, so your plugin
should be able to fall back to straight HTML (with or without CSS, for
the sake of text browsers and blind users).  That's not an absolute
requirement, but do avoid anything really fancy that just won't work
if you don't have everything enabled in the browser.

 > or reloading the page and which JS files. Do I need to write urls
 > with the handler for JSON? I have made the UI for search list.

Screen shot, please!

(Most important, it shows us a lot about the amount of user
interaction you are proposing.)

 > What is the best way to approach.

You tell us. ;-)  (Your taste in technology counts, too!)

Steve