[Mailman-Developers] About working on Issue #67

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Mar 1 09:55:32 EST 2016

On Mar 01, 2016, at 11:13 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>I'm certainly happy to see somebody interested in working on this!
>However, I have some questions about exactly what the development
>strategy should be (see my comment on #67).  We should talk about it
>on this list so everybody sees it, then move to #67 (or wherever) when
>the strategic issues are clear.

I added a comment in #67.

The core has a bunch of templates that need translation, although it's unclear
whether a gettext approach will help.  Probably we can just accept merge
requests for translated templates.

The core also has some translatable strings, mostly for substitutions into
fields that it creates out of whole cloth.  For those, gettext-extraction and
translation techniques will be helpful.

I'm happy to continue discussing both of the above in #67.

It's true that the bulk of the translation work project-wide will be for
Postorius and Hyperkitty.  Both of those are Django projects, and I'm sure
Django has i18n support, although I really don't know much about those
details.  To the extent that all subprojects can share infrastructure, great,
but that shouldn't come as a sacrifice for Django's natural i18n workflow.
Aurelien and Florian should probably describe how they want it to work for
those two projects.

Cheers,