[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC] Guidance needed for GitLab issues project

Gurkirpal Singh gurkirpal204 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 13:20:04 EST 2016

Hi, I'm interested in working on this project for the GSoC.
After some reading and thinking I have broken the project into the
following rough list of smaller jobs :
- Functionality for open issues.
- Ability to select some specific messages only or a link to discussion.
- Functionality for closing issues. In case, after some discussion it
is decided that opening the issue was a wrong idea.
- Duplicate issue notifier (like the one explained on the blog).
- Administration could be added which would require approval of some
authority before issue could be logged from the mailing list.
- Choice to open issue on some other site than GItLab

What else should i add or what should i remove from the above list?

As Mailman needs to interact with GitLab, I searched for some GitLab
API for python and found this
https://about.gitlab.com/applications/#api-clients
Is this right or there is some other way?

I still have only a fade idea about how I'm going to do it (as I started
on this only two days ago). I would like some help on this.

I have spent the last few days setting up Mailman for development and
reading through the archives and GSoC documents. I am now looking
forward to working on some easier issues.

About Me:
I am Gurkirpal Singh, a 20 years old student from India.
I have been coding in
Python for about an year.
I have some beginner level familiarity with Django  .I have worked on
some small open source projects. The  code is at github.com/gpalsingh
(but that's not all). I consider my skills
to be between beginner and intermediate. I'm don't have much problem
in reading others' code. I also have worked with some other languages
like C, C++, Java, PHP etc.

Thanks