[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 on lists.mailman3.org

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 5 19:14:12 EST 2016

I'm starting to look at getting a production mailman-users at mailman3.org
list set up and running.

I haven't gotten too far into it, but I see one issue and have a question.

The issue is that there is an MX record for mailman3.org pointing to
mail.mailman3.org, but mail.mailman3.org doesn't have an A record; it
has a CNAME pointing to mailman.iad1.psf.io which is the canonical name
of the server.

RFC 2181, sec 10.3 says the target of and MX must have address records,
not CNAME. I.e. mail.mailman3.org should not have a CNAME, but rather an
A record pointing to 104.239.228.201 or I suppose instead, the MX for
mailman3.org could point directly at mailman.iad1.psf.io.

Anyway, this is not an immediate concern, but will need to be addressed.

For my question, there is a MM 3 installation on the server now done, I
think, by Abhilash (@maxking). It seems only partly done. I.e. there's a
whole bunch of stuff in /opt/mailman that looks fairly complete, there's
some stuff for it in the nginx and postfix configs, there are systemd
scripts for starting and stopping mailman, but there's no mailman user
or group on the server. This latter may be the result of the PSFs salt
management.

Anyway, the question is is this usable? should it be upgraded? what else
needs to be done (not in detail, just whatever pieces are known to be
missing)?