[Mailman-Developers] Discussion On Project Idea "Preset List Settings Templates" .

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Mar 22 18:19:14 EDT 2016

On Mar 13, 2016, at 03:01 AM, Harshit Bansal wrote:

>Sorry, I think I have used wrong terminology here. By 'copying' I
>actually meant 'inheriting'.

Just a quick follow up to my previous comment about multiple inheritance.  I
was thinking about the way it's done in the Python code now, but even there, a
specific ordering is imposed (see LegacyDefaultStyle.apply() and
LegacyAnnounceOnly.apply()).

The point of this break down is because some things (and it's not a perfect
separation) really won't be shared between mailing lists.  OTOH, you might
want site-wide bounce settings that all lists will inherit and shouldn't be
able to change.  Other sub-styles give the list its "flavor", i.e. an open
discussion list where anyone can join just by confirming their email, or a
one-way announcement list that can't be unsubscribed from because it's an
"all-employees" roster.

I know this gets complicated quickly and I don't mean to throw a wrench into
things.  Harshit, I think you're essentially on the right track and Steve is
right that we should be careful not to overengineer the whole thing.  I think
you've got enough ideas, input, feedback, and comments to have plenty of fun
with it, and no doubt you'll discover a lot as you work out the details and
implementation.

Cheers,