[Mailman-Developers] Handling additions to REST API in client side

Abhilash Raj maxking at asynchronous.in
Wed Dec 27 03:49:26 EST 2017

Hi All,

Core's REST API is versioned and any change that break backwards-compatibility
cause the version to bump so that clients can take care of that.

However, one question that I have been thinking about recently is how to handle
additions to REST API that don't necessarily break the backwards compatibility.

For example, Core added `max_message_size` attribute to MailingList's REST
endpoint, but it hasn't made into any released version yet. Also, Postorius
added max_message_size in `Message Acceptance` settings. The problem here is
that the entire PUT/PATCH request is going to fail if the currently running
version of Core doesn't have `max_message_size` attribute exposed (Unknown
Attribute Error).

There is no easy way to check for whether the Core has this attribute as API is
versioned at 3.1 for both cases.

So, how do we actually handle this and maybe future cases like this?

--
thanks,
Abhilash Raj