[Mailman-Developers] Handling additions to REST API in client side

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Dec 29 10:10:35 EST 2017

On Dec 28, 2017, at 19:50, Abhilash Raj <maxking at asynchronous.in> wrote:

> PATCH won't fail when running partial updates, but it won't silently drop the
> attributes that it doesn't support. So from client side, there is no real way to
> understand when to include that attribute which was added in a later version.

Yes, I see the problem with that.

> We need some way to associate attributes with a minimum Core version, which we
> can get from `/system` endpoint. Although, for now, it probably is an overkill.
> I will do some static stuff to take care of this.

What happens when someone runs from say git head though?  /system/version won’t keep up with that, and besides, it’s going to become an increasingly big compatibility matrix over time.

> How bad do you think would it be for Core to silently drop extra attributes and
> only use the ones that it needs?

I think it could be problematic, as Steve points out.

I don’t really have a good answer, and I’m wondering what the state of the art is.  Maybe we should ask some experts for advice (we do have some friends who are experts in this).