[Mailman-Developers] Development Enviromnent setup

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Feb 1 12:09:55 EST 2017

On Feb 01, 2017, at 11:57 AM, Diptanshu Jamgade wrote:

>I have clonned the mailman gitlab repo(forked version) and created a
>python3 virtualenv using `virtualenv p- python3 <virtualenv dir>`. Then I
>activated the virtualenv and did `python3 setup.py develop`. On completion
>I did `mailman info -v`. This returned me with this (error)[
>http://pastebin.com/wLzDQwAu], Kindly help.

That makes me think that your Python installation is broken.  Can you tell
us more about what OS you're on, what version of Python you're using, and how
Python was built/installed on it?

FWIW, I tried this on Ubuntu 17.04 (devel) and it works fine.  I build my venv
a little differently, but that shouldn't matter:

$ python3 -m venv /tmp/mm3
$ source /tmp/mm3/bin/activate
$ python setup.py develop
$ mailman info -v
<expected output>

I'll also mention that very often I don't create a separate venv, but just use
the ones that tox builds, since I almost always have them around by running
the test suite.  If you want to build those without running the tests, you can
do something like this:

$ tox -e py35-nocov --notest -r
$ .tox/py35-nocov/bin/mailman info -v

You don't need to activate the venv to use it.

All that said, if you can't import _sqlite3, then your Python installation is
messed up.  That's a stdlib module so it should always be around.

Cheers,