[Mailman-Developers] What characters should be allowed in listnames

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 12 22:23:28 EST 2017

On 02/12/2017 05:27 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Certainly some narrowing is appropriate.  We could just clamp it down as you
> suggest, understanding that there may already be lists in existence that use
> the more liberal character set, and acknowledging that we may want to relax
> the set based on future bug reports.
>
> What about this: come up with an absolute black list set, e.g. the ones that
> will break Mailman.  Come up with a second set of discouraged but allowed
> characters, and a third set which is the narrow list you propose.  Then make
> the allowable set configurable, except that the black list characters are
> always disallowed.  Now, that might be too complicated, so I'm also fine with
> making it narrow now, and letting the set relax based on user feedback.

Thanks Barry. FWIW, MM 2.1 has an ACCEPTABLE_LISTNAME_CHARACTERS config
setting which defaults to '[-+_.=a-z0-9]'. I don't really like the + and
= in that list because of their possible interaction with VERP. I have a
WIP MR at <https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/merge_requests/248> that
allows only [-_.a-z0-9] (IGNORECASE) and has no config override.

The narrow, overridable config combined with a blacklist or some kind of
limitation on the overrides would be the most flexible. I'll look at
adding that to the MR. Basically, I'm thinking of a fixed list of
allowed characters which is liberal, testing that first and if that
passes, testing the config set.