[Mailman-Developers] What characters should be allowed in listnames

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 14 21:33:33 EST 2017

On 02/14/2017 10:52 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Mark Sapiro writes:
>
>  > I'd like feedback on this. What are your thoughts on what characters
>  > should be allowed in list names?
>
> Uh, RFC 6532 ....

That doesn't really address my question. That has to do with
internationalized email addresses. Granted the listname must be a valid
local part of an email address, but that doesn't mean every valid local
part has to be a valid list name.

In particular, the issue that raises this question is a list name
containing a slash. while 'my/list at example.com' is a legal email
address, https://lists.example.com/mailman3/lists/my/list.example.com/
is not a URL which will work in Postorius.

> Probably that can wait for when we actually support it :-), but while
> you're doing this we should (= I should when life gets sane ;-) make
> sure that whatever that restriction is, is encapsulated in one place.

I think I've done that in my current MR on this at
<https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/merge_requests/248> which implements
a [mailman] config setting described in schema.cfg as

> # Specify what characters are allowed in list names.  Characters outside of
> # the class [-_.+=!$*{}~0-9a-z] matched case insensitively are never allowed,
> # but this specifies a subset as the only allowable characters.
> listname_chars: [-_.0-9a-z]

The only questions are whether these are the right sets for the "outside
this are not allowed" class and the default listname_chars class.