[Mailman-Developers] Project idea understanding

Simon Hanna simon.hanna at serve-me.info
Fri Mar 10 06:15:22 EST 2017

On 03/10/2017 02:08 AM, raditya wrote:
> Dear Mentors,
>
> After going through a lot of sources mentioned in recent replies to
> other subscribers and some online sources i have got some understanding
> about the idea, which i would like to share with you guys and get some
> feedback and suggestions .
>
> I think we can encrypt the list in the following ways (broadly
> speaking):
>
> 1) Each message will be encrypted with all users as recipients.
> The mailing-list maintainer will have to regularly send the list of
> recipients over the mailing-list itself,
> so that every user comes to know the public keys of all recipients.
> But this way the maintainer will have to send recipients list to a large
> number of users.
If you as sender encrypt the message for every receiver,
you are literally doing all the work manually and don't need mailman
> 2) Another way could be relaying each message through the maintainer.
> The maintainer then encrypts it for single recipient.
> This might solve the problem of sending messageto large number of users
> but it increases latency (each message must wait for the maintainer to
> process it)
> the maintainer can censor each message as they all are relayed through
> him.
This approach makes "maintainers" (you probably mean moderators)
do all the work which also eliminates the need for mailman
> 3) Or instead of using asymmetric keys we use a password given to all
> users.
This can already be done right now. It's as if you send an
encrypted attachment that contains the actual message

There has been a GSoC project like this in the past
and there was quite some discussion on the mailing list.
https://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=encrypt&l=mailman-developers%40python.org