[Mailman-Developers] GSOC Project Idea discussion : Encrypted Lists (sagar kohli)

Stephan Wehner stephanwehner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 12:36:31 EDT 2017

> sagar kohli wrote:
>
> Alter getting some idea of how encryption works, and reading about the
> architecture of mailman. I would like to share the possible idea that im
> thinking of which is as follows:
> [snip]

The way I understand your plan, it is a bit weaker compared to what is
described in this 2006 paper,  "From Proxy Encryption Primitives to a
Deployable Secure-Mailing-List Solution," available at
http://www.ncsa.illinois.edu/People/hkhurana/ICICS.pdf

When I looked up the first author, I found this site:
http://sels.ncsa.illinois.edu/

"Secure Email List Services (SELS) is an open source software for
creating and developing secure email list services among user
communities. SELS provides signature and encryption capabilities while
ensuring that ***the List Server does not have access to email plain
text***. SELS has been developed with available open-source components
and is compatible with many commonly used email clients." (I added the
stars)

The last link there goes to https://sourceforge.net/projects/sels/
Source code is at https://sourceforge.net/p/sels/code/HEAD/tree/

Did you could ask for advice on encryption mailing lists? To me it
looks like a topic which cryptologists would be interested in.

Stephan

> ------------------------------
>
> End of Mailman-Developers Digest, Vol 335, Issue 10

Stephan Wehner

-> http://stephan.sugarmotor.org (blog and homepage)
-> http://twitter.com/stephanwehner / @stephanwehner
-> http://www.thrackle.org