[Mailman-Developers] Mailing lists exploited

Jonathan Knight j.knight at keele.ac.uk
Wed May 17 04:20:21 EDT 2017

The attack we're trying to defend against is a scripted one which grabs a
list of all the mailing lists, then harvests the administrator email and
then tries to spam each list using the administrator as a sender address.

If the archives are public then I guess you could write a reasonable
algorithm to try and guess an unmoderated address but I don't think its as
easy to hit thousands of mailing lists using that approach.

Jon

--
Jonathan Knight
IT Services