[Mailman-Developers] Signaling One-Click Functionality for List Email Headers

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sat May 20 12:42:52 EDT 2017

John Levine writes:

 > >Is that something mailman(2|3) should support? To me it looks
 > >useful.

Personally I am +1 on "patches welcome" until users start asking for
it (including via list and site managers).  Until I see evidence of
intent to use, I'm not excited about putting the effort into
developing and maintaining it myself.

 > It would certainly make it easier to deal with grumpy gmail users,
 > since gmail does not provide junk button feedback.
 >
 > The disadvantage is that every recipient needs to get a separate copy
 > of each message, because the list and user info has to be encoded in
 > the list-unsubscribe URL.  That's been standard in commercial e-mail
 > for a decade, but a lot of discussion list operators still imagine
 > that it's too slow.

I wouldn't have a problem with experimenting with enabling
personalization by default in Mailman 3 to get experience with it.

I would oppose it in Mailman 2 at this point in its lifecycle because
throttling of hosted lists is still a FAQ, and (at least
theoretically) multiple recipient transactions can alleviate those
limits.

Steve