[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC] Encrypted mailing lists

Jan Jancar johny at neuromancer.sk
Mon May 22 19:21:07 EDT 2017

On 05/22/2017 07:53 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Hi Jan!
>
> Congratulations on being selected!

Thanks! Very happy to be selected.

> Note that Mailman is a PSF suborg, so you have to comply with PSF
> reporting standards.  I'll get back to you if you need to do anything
> more.  The only thing I can think of offhand is to register with the
> PSF "planet" (or whatever they're using to aggregate blog posts).  I
> *think* that's not even ready yet (or maybe they set it up today).

I only found:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/Expectations
although having a look at planetpython it seems my site can be
integrated into it, so no problem there. Should I send an integration
request?

> My apologies for disappearing on you after the application period,
> it's been very busy for me (most of my teaching responsibilities are
> in spring term, April-June, and startup is alway demanding).

Know that very well myself, as I struggle to finish all school /
research related tasks before the coding period starts.

>  >  * Let List creator specify List Style when creating it through
>  >    Postorius.
>
> AFAIK this is already an RFE.

Now that I looked at list styles more closely the way they apply all of
their parent classes in their apply method makes using them for plugins
kind of heavy handed. Let's say that my encrypted lists plugin wants to
work through a list style, which I proposed in my second update, as it's
a really nice mechanism for this. Now there are two built-in styles
"legacy-default" and "legacy-announce", because of the way list styles
compose I will have to create two list styles myself, for
"legacy-default" and "legacy-announce". If more styles are added, each
of them will have to have a corresponding "encrypted" variant, and this
applies to any plugin, or even to core styles and their combination.

It might make more sense to have a list of styles associated with a
mailing list, which are linearly applied on list creation. The compound
styles("legacy-default" and "legacy-announce") would be possible the
same way they are now, so something like setting "legacy-default" and
"encrypted-mixin" styles on a list would make it an encrypted mailing list.

With the current way, the amount of different list-styles would get
rather large very quick. Might not be a problem since the amount of list
styles I can imagine that would make sense combining is rather low. But
just by adding another style, something like "AnonymousListStyle" would
require creating 4 styles:
anonymous-default
anonymous-encrypted-default
anonymous-announce
anonymous-encrypted-announce
and so on. The next style if combinable with all the other styles would
need 8 styles.

>  >  * Allow multiple callables in pre_hook and post_hook run
>  >    in order specified.
>
> Seems reasonable, you'll need to talk to Barry about that.  (Of course
> you can always implement this with a hook-managing hook function.  So
> it's a matter of abackward compatibility.

As you pointed out out-of-list, there is a MR #264 already for this
feature, along with a signal passing between core and plugins, so
sending a link for the list:

https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/merge_requests/264

Cheers,
--
Jan
   /\  # PGP: 362056ADA8F2F4E421565EF87F4A448FE68F329D