[Mailman-Developers] Rolling releases for Container Images and Funding Campaign for Mailman

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Nov 8 14:53:05 EST 2017

On Nov 8, 2017, at 04:38, Simon Hanna <simon at hannaweb.eu> wrote:

> On 11/08/2017 12:03 AM, Abhilash Raj wrote:
>> New images are available on quay.io and, moving forward, the rest of
>> the image builds will also be moved to Quay[4][5].
> Since docker deployment is currently the recommended install, with manual installs using the master branches for "experts" I wonder why you are using Quay.
> It looks like it's a non-free system. Why use Quay but refuse to use a non-free translation system like transifex?

Is there a free (software) equivalent to Quay?  Caveat: I don’t know anything about Quay, so I don’t know what services and advantages it provides.

> If this campaign succeeds, here is a road map of what I intend to get
>> done:
> Sounds great, what is the limit where the campaign succeeds? What will happen to the funds if it doesn’t?

The funds all go to the GNU Mailman project’s FSF donation fund.  A portion of every donation goes to the FSF, and the Mailman Steering Committee ultimately decides what to do with what’s left in our account.  In the past we’ve used it sponsor GSoC students coming to Pycon sprints.

> To be honest, I don't think we should all in on containers.
> Yes they are nice, but I guess most people would prefer distro packages.
> Even if people want containers, I for instance would prefer plain systemd-nspawn

There are folks working on Debian packages.  I’m not aware of similar efforts for other distro ecosystems.  But I don’t think it’s all or nothing, and it does make sense for us (the GNU Mailman project) to support containers to help with adoption, experimentation, and deployment, while working with distro volunteers to package the code up for those platforms.

Cheers,