[Mailman-Developers] Renaming a list

Abhilash Raj maxking at asynchronous.in
Mon Oct 23 20:02:27 EDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017, at 08:59 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2017, at 11:48, Aurelien Bompard <aurelien at bompard.org> wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to rename a list (only the list_name, not the list_id) and I
> > figured I would make the transition smoother by adding an "AcceptableAlias"
> > with the old name. I did that and realized that the acceptable aliases are
> > not added to the postfix_lmtp file, as a result emails sent to the old
> > address are just bounced at the Postfix level.
> > Is this the intended behavior ?
>
> It is.  The thinking is that whatever email addresses end up funneling to
> a list is really outside of Mailman’s control.  That’s really part of
> your MTA’s configuration, and acceptable aliases are just a way of
> telling Mailman to expand its implicit address logic.

As I understand, AcceptableAliases are defined as regular expressions,
what if Mailman put the values that are a valid list name to
transport_maps? Converting regex to a listname doesn't sound like a
straight forward thing to me though.

This most definitely adds some complexity for unique checks of
Listnames. I am not sure if we already check acceptable alias rules for
existing mailing lists to make sure they don't match any new list
created. We'd have to do it if we start putting acceptable aliases in
transport maps.

As a feature, it could be helpful to have multiple posting addresses for
a single List. Are there any major downsides to doing this?

--
  Abhilash Raj
  maxking at asynchronous.in