[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 not restarting after reboot [addendum]

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 15:42:17 EDT 2017

Hi Mark,

I did just a quick search and read about issues related to Click and
init scripts. See below.

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017, at 09:19 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> I'm beginning to develop some understanding of this. I think it is not
> related to the changes for plugins, but rather is related to the use of
> click and possibly something to do with run levels.
>
> I have put logging in /opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/venv-3.4/bin/mailman
> to report the command that invoked it before it in turn invokes
> mailman.bin.mailman.main(), and I put logging there to report the fact
> that control got there.
>
> The log looks like
>

> Tue Sep  5 15:42:57 2017
> ['/opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/venv-3.4/bin/mailman', '-C',
> '/opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/deployment/mailman.cfg', 'stop']
> Tue Sep  5 15:42:58 2017 mailman.py - main()
> Tue Sep  5 15:43:08 2017
> ['/opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/venv-3.4/bin/mailman', '-C',
> '/opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/deployment/mailman.cfg', 'start',
> '--force']
> Tue Sep  5 15:43:09 2017 mailman.py - main()
> Tue Sep  5 15:47:16 2017
> ['/opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/venv-3.4/bin/mailman', '-C',
> '/opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/deployment/mailman.cfg', 'stop']
> Tue Sep  5 15:48:13 2017
> ['/opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/venv-3.4/bin/mailman', '-C',
> '/opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/deployment/mailman.cfg', 'start',
> '--force']
> Tue Sep  5 15:58:39 2017
> ['/opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/venv-3.4/bin/mailman', '-C',
> '/opt/mailman/mailman-bundler/deployment/mailman.cfg', 'start',
> '--force']
> Tue Sep  5 15:58:47 2017 mailman.py - main()
>

> The 15:42:.. entries are from a manual stop. The 15:43:.. entries are
> from a manual start. The 15:47:16 entry is the 'stop' from a reboot -
> note no 'mailman.py - main()' here, and the 15:48:13 entry is the
> 'start' from the reboot - again no 'mailman.py - main()' here. Finally,
> the 15:58:.., entries are from a manual start.
>
> There are several 'click' decorators on the mailman.bin.mailman.main()
> function, and I suspect something there is detecting the run level and
> just quitting if a shutdown or startup is in progress.
>
> I would like to try systemd instead, but both lists.mailman3.org and
> mail.python.org are on Ubuntu 14.04 which doesn't support systemd.

I *looks* like your observation about the click *might* be correct, I'd
have to test more to find out which can't for next few days. Here is an
excerpt from the click documentation[1]:

---
Click in Python 3 does all the Unicode handling in the standard library
and is subject to its behavior. In Python 2, Click does all the Unicode
handling itself, which means there are differences in error behavior.

The most glaring difference is that in Python 2, Unicode will “just
work”, while in Python 3, it requires extra care. The reason for this is
that in Python 3, the encoding detection is done in the interpreter, and
on Linux and certain other operating systems, its encoding handling is
problematic.

The biggest source of frustration is that Click scripts invoked by init
systems (sysvinit, upstart, systemd, etc.), deployment tools (salt,
puppet), or cron jobs (cron) will refuse to work unless a Unicode locale
is exported.

If Click encounters such an environment it will prevent further
execution to force you to set a locale. This is done because Click
cannot know about the state of the system once it’s invoked and restore
the values before Python’s Unicode handling kicked in.
---

It does mention that an error trace will show up when there are locale
problems with Python 3, but I guess you don't see any of that. Maybe it
is suppressed somewhere?

[1]: http://click.pocoo.org/5/python3/#python-3-surrogate-handling