[Mailman-Developers] GDPR

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sun Sep 24 16:33:06 EDT 2017

In article <01QJ5JK26GXI0005CZ at Encompasserve.org> you write:
>| tl;dr
>
>Too long: The regulation and articles are even longer.
>
>Didn't Read: But you replied none-the-less ;-)

Having been talking to some actual lawyers about GDPR compliance, I
find this analysis absurd.

Specifically about the right to be forgotten, it means that you have
to be able to unsubscribe, i.e., the list operator forgets that you
subscribed, but it does not mean that everyone has an arbitrary right
to unsay anything they might later regret.  I note that the putative
analysis of Art. 17 skips over the exceptions which include archiving
in the public interest.

There might be some tweaks to Mailman to make it easier to document
who signed up and when, but for the most part it's not a big deal.
Remember that when GDPR analyses talk about mailing lists, what they
have in mind are broadcast lists (which is what 99% of lists are),
not the discussion lists that Mailman runs.

R's,
John