[Mailman-i18n] Internationalized Mailman

Barry A. Warsaw barry@wooz.org
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:34:11 -0400 (EDT)

    VG> Barry Warsaw has given us homework to do so we can get a 2.1
    VG> internationalized Mailman as soon as 2.0 is out. We are slowly
    VG> starting to do them, so any help would be very much
    VG> appreciated.

Because I want to explore on my own about the right way to
internationalize a big app like Mailman, I've started in my spare time
to play with this.  So I would suggest breaking the problem up into
pieces, and submitting separate patches for each piece.

One piece is marking all the translatable text in the Mailman sources.
You should work on this last and don't spend much time on it.  I'm
actually starting to do that myself, as I'm playing with the i18n
infrastructure.

A second piece is creating the mechanisms for selecting languages on a
per user, per list basis, etc.  I'd like to see what you guys have
come up with here.

A third piece is all the translations (i.e. po and mo files).  We can
use the GNU Translation project to help here, once we've generated the
.pot files.

I'll try to send out snapshots of some of the things I'm thinking
about after 2.0 final goes out.

-Barry