[Mailman-i18n] A few questions and some suggestions

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 01:31:55 -0400

    | 1. #: Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py:276
    |    msgid "Reloading pickled archive state"

I believe this is printed during bin/arch runs.

    | 2. #: Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py:303
    |    msgid "Pickling archive state into "

As is this, probably.

    | 3. #: Mailman/Bouncer.py:220
    |    msgid "BUT:        %(succeeded)s"

This is sent as part of the bounce.txt, when an address gets too many
bounces and is disabled.

    | 4. #: Mailman/Cgi/admin.py:311
    |    msgid "No valid variable details request not found: %(path_inf=
o)s"
    |    (I didn't really understand this one, is this a typo?)

You're right, that makes no sense. :)

    | 5. #: Mailman/Handlers/Acknowledge.py:57
    |    msgid "%(realname)s post acknowledgement"

If a user turns on their "Receive acknowledgement mail when you send
mail to the list?" option, this gets sent to them when they post to
the list.

    DB> I now have have 763 translated strings in my message.po :) I'm
    DB> skipping all docstrings and the strings for bin/pygettext.py.

Good!

    DB> I'm also wondering how to make translated strings appear when
    DB> running any of the commands in <mailman-dir>/bin. When I run
    DB> e.g. check_perms, I still get "No problems found", not my
    DB> translated norwegian string...

What I do is set the `LANGUAGE' environment variable to the language I
want to test.  E.g.

    % LANGUAGE=3Dno bin/list_lists
    1 matching mailing lists found:
=09Stage - [ingen beskrivelse tilgjengelig]

or

    % LANGUAGE=3Des bin/list_lists
    1 Las siguientes listas de distribuci=F3n coinciden:
=09Stage - descripci=F3n:=20

    | 1. These two strings are the same, right?
    |       #: Mailman/MailCommandHandler.py:411
    |       msgid "%(origsender)s isn't subscribed to this list."
    |    and
    |       #: Mailman/MailCommandHandler.py:436
    |       msgid "%(origsender)s is not subscribed to this list."

    DB> Maybe one of these could be chosen, so the same string is used
    DB> both places?  (In norwegian, for example, the translation of
    DB> these to strings would be the same.)

Yes, in fact there are other problems with the marked up strings in
MailCommandHandler.py (not to mention that the whole module needs a
serious rewrite... sigh).  I'll try to fix the most egregious of the
problems.

    | 2. Mailman/MailList.py:390 reads:
    |       "[...] In order to split the list ownership duties into
    |       administrators and moderators, you must set a separate mode=
rator
    |       password in the section below, and also provide the email
    |       addresses of the list moderators in this section. [...]"

   DB> I think this text maybe should be rewritten a bit, because the
   DB> text does not appear where the user is setting the moderator
   DB> password, it appears in the help/details page for providing
   DB> email addresses of the list administrators. Maybe just removing
   DB> "in the section below" would do be enough...  (The same goes
   DB> for Mailman/MailList.py:414)

Good point, thanks.  I think I can do a little bit better with some
judicious hyperlinking.

    DB> 3. Mailman/MailList.py:623 (2.1a2), Mailman/Gui/General.py:295
    DB> (2.1a3)
    DB>    Maybe reverse the order of 'Yes' an 'No' for this options,
    DB> so they are put in the same order as the other options that
    DB> appear above it?

Another good point, requiring some kludgery to get right though. :/

    DB> 4. Mailman/MailList.py:672
    DB>    Maybe mention list moderator(s) in the text? Because it
    DB> could be the list moderator that approves the posting, not the
    DB> list admin...  Like this: "require approval - require list
    DB> administrator or moderator approval for subscriptions<br>."

Another good point, although I think it's fine just to say "list
moderator".  The user doesn't necessarily need to know about or
understand the distinction (at this point).

    DB> 5. Mailman/MailList.py:734
    DB>    There is a typo here. "to to":
    DB>    "[...] The intention is to to prevent the addresses [...]"

Ah, thanks!

    DB> 6. Mailman/MailList.py:743 reads:
    DB>       "Must posts be approved by an administrator?"  Maybe
    DB> mention the list moderator here too?  Like: "Must posts be
    DB> approved by an administrator (or possibly a moderator)?"

Again, I think it's fine just to say "list moderator".

    DB> 7. Mailman/MailList.py:755
    DB>    This is really a minor cosmetic detail. The string is
    DB> missing a ')', which should be added at the end of it.

Thanks, I've also added a hyperlink.

Excellent feedback, thanks!
-Barry