[Mailman-i18n] German Umlauts in pipermail

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:44:11 -0400

    JG> I tried to make pipermail (read: HyperArch.pl) aware of german
---------------------------------------------------^^
<shudder> :)

    JG> Umlauts.  They're normally MIME-Encoded, using iso-8859-1. I
    JG> searched through the existing code for "<" and ">"
    JG> substitution as they're correctly substituted by &lt; and
    JG> &gt;. Then I worked out the patch below.

    JG> Unfortunately, "<" and ">" are working as before, but the
    JG> other substitutions are never executed:-( Could anybody please
    JG> give me some hints?

The most bogus part of the Pipermail integration is that lots of stuff
is duplicated not by inheritance, but by cut-and-paste.  That means
even though you think you're changing something, it's really just
overridden in one of the derived classes.

This all needs to be cleaned up. :(

-Barry