[Mailman-i18n] Re: [Mailman-Developers] [ mailman-Patches-646884 ] HyperArch.py multibyte charset

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Sun Dec 8 02:11:27 2002

Martin,

Since you are on this list I respond to i18n.

> Comment By: Martin v. L?wis (loewis)
> Date: 2002-12-07 17:10
>
> Message:
> Logged In: YES
> user_id=21627
>
> Tokio, can you please explain the problem in more detail?
> Utils.uquote will always return 7bit strings only,
> potentially with nested HTML character references. Why could
> this cause a problem in a multi-byte encoding? Can you refer
> to a page that looks incorrectly because of that?

Here is an example...
Before:
http://mm.tkikuchi.net/pipermail/mm-test/2002-December/000385.html
and after the patch was applied:
http://mm.tkikuchi.net/pipermail/mm-test/2002-December/000386.html

You need japanese font installed to examine the difference.

Utils.uquote() makes a multibyte character into two or more fragmants
of Latin-1 characters.

Utils.uquote() makes all the 8bit-set character escaped while
Utils.uncanonstr() checks if the character is within the charset
and escapes only if the chatacter is not legal.

http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/