[Mailman-i18n] Re: the way i added my language charset

Martin v. Löwis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Nov 10 08:47:36 2002

"shawn   Erdil" <cerdil@ttnet.net.tr> writes:

> >Notice that header is NOT added to NON DIGEST send if the MESSAGE is a
> > MIME multipart message. This is by design. So just don't send
> > multipart messages if you want mailman to add headers and footers.
>
> it  this is  by design,  than there  is  nothing  we  can  do

This was perhaps a bit pessimistic. Here is the problem:

It is not clear what the correct behaviour is when you have a
multipart message, and you want to add headers and footers. Consider
the case of a multipart message with three alternatives:
- a text/plain alternative,
- a text/html alternative, and
- an audio/mpeg alternative.

How should you add headers and footers here. There are several
alternatives, which are all wrong:
- add the header only to the text/plain alternative. Since the
  parts are alternative, the Email reader may chose a different
  alternative, so you would not see the header. The alternatives
  are considered to be equivalent, but modifying only one of
  them means they are no longer equivalent.

- add the header to all three alternatives. But how can you add the
  header to the audio data?

- Even if the audio alternative is absent (i.e. your case), adding the
  header and footer to the HTML part is still difficult.

> if i send it as PLAIN message -- i get the headers and footers like
> below how can i control not to send -mime multipart alternative
> message ?
> everybody  have  their presets.

I see two options:
- add the header and footer only to the text/plain alternative. Since
  this is philosophically wrong, the mailing list admin would need
  to select this explicitly.
- strip all alternatives except for text/plain from the message
  (making the entire message text/plain), then add the header and footer
  to the message.

I doubt anybody will implement either of these options soon. So if you
want them, you need to implement them yourself. For the first option,
please have a look at Mailman/Handlers/Decorate.py. For the second
option, I don't know how to implement that.

In any case, this has nothing to do with mailman-i18n anymore; this
issue applies to mailman in general. You might want to contact the
mailman-users list instead.

Good luck,
Martin