[Mailman-i18n] Adding non-ASCII headers

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Wed Nov 13 19:32:51 2002

ites:

    MvL> I just tried to configure the playground list to use
    MvL> non-ASCII headers, and failed.

    MvL> First, I tried to add Turkish letters, without having Turkish
    MvL> templates. This failed, and not surprisingly so: The
    MvL> admin/playground/nondigest form was encoded in us-ascii, so
    MvL> it was not capable of properly transmitting the header
    MvL> contents (it was surprising that Mailman sent out a garbage
    MvL> message, though).

    MvL> Then, I changed the list to Russian, and got a Koi8-r form,
    MvL> in which I successfully entered a Cyrillic text (this text is
    MvL> still configured at the moment).

    MvL> However, when sending a message in non-digest mode, neither a
    MvL> header nor a footer was added by mailman. Can somebody
    MvL> explain this behaviour?

Mailman won't add by concatenation headers or footers to text/plain
parts of the message that don't have a charset that matches the list's
preferred charset (which is by fiat the charset assumed for the header
and footer text).

I suppose we could do a similar kind of multipart re-wrapping as is
being proposed for adding headers and footers to multipart/<non-mixed>.

-Barry