[Mailman-i18n] Pipermail and non-English lists

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Mon Nov 18 17:59:40 2002

    BAW> But it looks like the thread indices and the list archive
    BAW> overview pages either don't have http-equiv's or they're
    BAW> incorrect.

    BAW> I'll try to fix those.

Ok, that was fun. :/

I fixed things so that the index.html page adds an http-equiv header
with the proper charset information, but that wasn't working as
expected.  Dumping the page source indeed showed the proper http-equiv
meta tag, but the page was still being displayed incorrectly.

Turns out, my Apache config had this line in it:

    AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1

And because these pages are vended right from the file system, Apache
dutifully adds "charset=iso-8859-1" to the Content-Type header.  This
is documented to override the meta tag setting, so that part works
correctly <wink>.

A weird browser incompatibility exists between Moz1.1 and NS4.7x (all
I've tried so far).  Moz will always believe the http header, trying
to display the page in iso-8859-1, which isn't what we want.  NS will
do the same thing -- until you hit the back button!  Then it picks up
the koi8-r charset in the meta tag (I surmise) and displays it in the
Russian charset.

The solution was to comment out this line (not withstanding the
security scare hinted at in the config file, but not in the
documentation), or set it to

    AddDefaultCharset off

which is the default.  Now it seems to work just fine.  I guess I have
to add this to the docs.

Hmm, maybe this is another reason to want a cgi in front of even
public archives?

I'll check in a bunch of changes as soon as SF's cvs comes back
on-line :(

-Barry