[Mailman-i18n] "Funny" characters in real names?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 18:19:41 -0400

    BG> I used MULE and xemacs (with Gnus) for years to read my email,
    BG> but I was never able to find a solution for UTF-8 headers.  If
    BG> you do end up finding one, please let the list know ;)

Well, I spent a little time playing with un-define, and googling
around, but wasn't able to come up with the magic incantations.  Maybe
this XEmacs FAQ entry sheds light that we have a while to wait yet...

but-thanks-for-the-tips-ly y'rs,

-------------------- snip snip --------------------
File: xemacs-faq.info,  Node: Q1.3.9,  Next: Q1.4.1,  Prev: Q1.3.8,  Up: Introduction

Q1.3.9: How does XEmacs display Unicode?

   Mule doesn't have a Unicode charset internally, so there's nothing to
bind a Unicode registry to.  It would not be straightforward to create,
either, because Unicode is not ISO 2022-compatible.  You'd have to
translate it to multiple 96x96 pages.

   This means that Mule-UCS uses ordinary national fonts for display.
This is not really a problem, except for those languages that use the
Unified Han characters.  The problem here is that Mule-UCS maps from
Unicode code points to national character sets in a deterministic way.
By default, this means that Japanese fonts are tried first, then
Chinese, then Korean.  To change the priority ordering, use the command

   It also means you can't use Unicode fonts directly, at least not
without extreme hackery.  You can run -nw with
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8) if you really want a Unicode font
for some reason.

   Real Unicode support will be introduced in XEmacs 22.0.