[Mailman-i18n] "Funny" characters in real names?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 18:19:41 -0400

    BG> I used MULE and xemacs (with Gnus) for years to read my email,
    BG> but I was never able to find a solution for UTF-8 headers.  If
    BG> you do end up finding one, please let the list know ;)

Well, I spent a little time playing with un-define, and googling
around, but wasn't able to come up with the magic incantations.  Maybe
this XEmacs FAQ entry sheds light that we have a while to wait yet...

but-thanks-for-the-tips-ly y'rs,
-Barry

-------------------- snip snip --------------------
File: xemacs-faq.info,  Node: Q1.3.9,  Next: Q1.4.1,  Prev: Q1.3.8,  Up: Introduction

Q1.3.9: How does XEmacs display Unicode?

   Mule doesn't have a Unicode charset internally, so there's nothing to
bind a Unicode registry to.  It would not be straightforward to create,
either, because Unicode is not ISO 2022-compatible.  You'd have to
translate it to multiple 96x96 pages.

   This means that Mule-UCS uses ordinary national fonts for display.
This is not really a problem, except for those languages that use the
Unified Han characters.  The problem here is that Mule-UCS maps from
Unicode code points to national character sets in a deterministic way.
By default, this means that Japanese fonts are tried first, then
Chinese, then Korean.  To change the priority ordering, use the command
`un-define-change-charset-order'.

   It also means you can't use Unicode fonts directly, at least not
without extreme hackery.  You can run -nw with
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8) if you really want a Unicode font
for some reason.

   Real Unicode support will be introduced in XEmacs 22.0.