[Mailman-i18n] RTL and BiDi

Arash Zeini a.zeini@farsikde.org
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:55:07 +0330

On Tuesday 08 October 2002 15:28, Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:

> Arash Zeini <a.zeini@farsikde.org> writes:
> > No, I didn't try. Usually the web browser doesn't do the RTL
> > automatically, if this is what you mean. Wouldn't it need the dir
> > attribute?
> I've tried both MSIE6 and Mozilla/Gecko, and both render Arabic text
> RTL without a dir attribute. They just know, from looking at their
> Unicode database, what directionality each character has.

I think we are talking about two different things. Sure the browsers disp=
RTL correctly on the word level. The characters are ordered correctly, bu=
the sentence as a total or even the word itself is not placed on the righ=
side of the browser. Neither forms nor fields are mirrored by the browser=
the dir attribute is missing. Also the scrollbar is not placed on the lef=
side without the necessary HTML attibutes. (At least to judge from Konque=
and Mozilla, donot know about IE)

I am attaching a sample HTML file to demonstrate this. The socon para doe=
have the dir attribute and hence is not positioned correctly and the flow=
the sentence is not correct as well.

> IMHO, the HTML dir attribute was invented by people who did not think
> it possible to implement such a BiDi algorithm in the Web browser.

No, the dir attribute is essential, IMHO.

> > I guess the best way to try is to have a test mailman 2.1. Is it
> > worth it to try on older versions?
> In this area, I recommend to use 2.1bsomething.
> > And is there such a testing installation anywhere, or should i set
> > one for myself?
> I don't know of any test installation for such purposes.
> > UTF-8 is the recommended one for Farsi. ISO-8859-6 works best for
> > Arabic.
> I see. You should add those to Mailman/Defaults.py.

You mean in CVS or locally?

> I'd recommend to add Farsi as a language to mailman, and take no
> additional steps for RTL. I still think it would work out just fine.

As I said I doubt this would be enough by its own. I need to make some fu=
investigation adn will try to install a local Mailman to test things. I h=
the latest 2.1bsomething :)

The FarsiKDE Project