[Mailman-i18n] RTL and BiDi

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:56:47 -0400

ites:

    MvL> I'd recommend to add Farsi as a language to mailman, and take
    MvL> no additional steps for RTL. I still think it would work out
    MvL> just fine.

I concur with Martin.  I would recommend using Mailman 2.1 from cvs.
I'm going to be working toward beta4 this week, so expect checkins and
fixes.  If you're not comfortable with cvs, then definitely use
MM2.1b3.

You should be able to follow the instructions in README-I18N.en and
the examples in Defaults.py.in, the templates directory, and the
messages directory to figure out what you'd need to add.  It should be
fairly straightforward to get the infrastructure in place, and this
list can certainly help with details.

As for whether Pipermail can handle it, that's a good question.
There's a patch on SF for improving the i18n of Pipermail which I
intend to look at today:

http://sf.net/tracker/index.php?func=3Ddetail&aid=3D594771&group_id=3D1=
03&atid=3D300103

Just be aware that time is running out for MM2.1.  I'm going to get
this sucker out by the end of the year (if not before) if I have to
setup a caffeine IV drip and and hack in the shower. :)  If the BiDi
changes are extensive -- and I hope/expect they won't be -- we'll have
to postpone them to the next release.

-Barry