[Mailman-i18n] "Funny" characters in real names?

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi@is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:39:44 +0900

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     TK> I had to add "import japanese" in Utils.py. Otherwise, I got
>     TK> unknown charset error when I entered japanese in fullname.
> Do you have a traceback?

Here is it.

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/mailman3/scripts/driver", line 82, in run_main
   File "/home/mailman3/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py", line 94, in main
     process_form(mlist, doc, cgidata, language)
   File "/home/mailman3/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py", line 113, in process_form
     fullname = Utils.canonstr(fullname, lang)
   File "/home/mailman3/Mailman/Utils.py", line 731, in canonstr
     return unicode(newstr, charset, 'replace')
LookupError: unknown encoding

> Can you send me a valid Japanese name string so that I can try it
> myself?

Well, you must first configure your browser japanese capable.
Here is my name in euc-jp and unicode:

> I would have thought that the codecs package would have
> imported the Japanese codecs automatically.  If not, we have to figure
> out the right way to hook it up so it works.

Me too...