[Mailman-i18n] "Funny" characters in real names?

Martin v. Löwis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
18 Sep 2002 08:09:26 +0200

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:

> This is a good thing.  Note that some browsers might (I haven't
> checked this) incorrectly send the entity &246; for whatever character
> is at position 246 in the user's default character set, not character
> 246 in Unicode.  This might be something to look out for, but I don't
> know if it's important.

I'm not aware of any browser that does that. IE is the only one that
sends HTML entities at all if you get an unsupported character.

> Everything else looks good.  The kludge to assume iso-8859-1 on
> us-ascii pages is unfortunately a generally good one, as that will
> make the most people happy.

I think this kludge does not help at all, see my other message.

Regards,
Martin