[Mailman-i18n] 'Funny' characters in real names?

Martin v. Löwis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
18 Sep 2002 09:52:38 +0200

"Quique" <quique@sindominio.net> writes:

> from my ignorance:
> what about using iso-8859-15 instead of -1?
>
> it seems to add some forgotten french, finnish, estonian and czech
> letters.

It doesn't really matter, IMO: administrators can always turn the
default encoding to -15 if they want to. However, it is likely that
some email readers will have difficulties to represent those
characters when confronted with them, so it is unclear what you gain.

I'm personally quite unhappy with iso-8859-15: it was invented at a
time when Unicode was already there, and the world didn't really need
any more character sets.

Regards,
Martin