[Mailman-i18n] Re: [I18n-sig] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-checkins] mailman/misc CJKCodecs-1.0.tar.gz, NONE, 1.1.2.1 .cvsignore, 2.2, 2.2.2.1 Makefile.in, 2.33.2.3, 2.33.2.4 paths.py.in, 2.6, 2.6.2.1 JapaneseCodecs-1.4.9.tar.gz, 2.1, NONE KoreanCodecs-2.0.5.tar.gz, 2.1, NONE

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Dec 29 23:00:50 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 20:45, Tokio Kikuchi wrote:

> >>-----japanese.py
> >>from cjkcodecs import euc-jp, iso-2022-jp, shift_jis
> >

> This will not do. (Syntax error!)

I noticed that. ;)  Change the dashes to underscores.

> My fault is that I have separately installed both JapaneseCodecs
> and cjkcodecs in the python site-packages area. Looks like mailman
> has looked the site-package codecs before mailman/pytholib codecs.

Hmm, it shouldn't.  Mailman /should/ be set up to look in pythonlib
first.

> Since we can get rid of the aliases in Charset.py, woud it not be better
> to leave the package installation to the indivisual site owners?

Perhaps, but 1) I think Mailman should come with batteries included and
be easy to install, 2) I don't want to rely on having to install these
packages in the system's site-packages directory because that affects
all users of Python on that system.

> Some Japanese users looks like to prefer JapaneseCodecs than cjkcodecs
> and some even prefer using one which override special characters like
> full-width roman numerics.

Hmm.  I have to defer to you on this.  In general though, it's a shame
there has to be more than one codec package for Japanese.  Also, is
JapaneseCodecs still being developed?

> Barry, I again suggest cancelling this commit for cjkcodecs altogether
> in the meantime of releasing 2.1.4.

Looks like we'll have to.  The other problem is that I can't make the
necessary changes to the email package until the Python 2.3 branch is
freed up and it doesn't look that that will happen in time.  I don't
want to include an unreleased version of the email package with Mailman
2.1.4.

So we'll stick with the status quo for Mailman 2.1.4.  It would really
be nice if Python 2.4 included the Asian codecs by default.

-Barry