[Mailman-i18n] Should we join the Translation Project?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Oct 11 08:48:46 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 05:52, Bartosz Sawicki wrote:
> >>We had talked before about moving Mailman's i18n work to
> >>the Translation Project[1], and I think now's the perfect time to
> >>revisit that.
> >>I don't have any direct experience with TP, so first, I'm wondering who
> >>out there has, and what you think about it.
> >
> > I have no experience with TP (even if I'm enlisted in their site)  and I'm
> > neutral on this.  I even signed their disclaimer.
> > http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gnutra/HTML/disclaim.html
>
> So you are lucky, I don't sign and send this disclaimer, so propably
> i'll have to wait more than month to be registered. I think that the
> most of Mailman translators are in the same situation.

I would try to arrange with Francois so that we could import all our
existing po files, and allow a grace period on the disclaimer.  Truth be
told, I should be more diligent about getting translators to sign such
disclaimers anyway.  I definitely wouldn't want that to hold up
progress, so I'd opt for a grace period of say 3 months.

> TP is great, but especially for projects that don't have own i18n teams.
> They get chance to be translated into many languages. Mailman already
> has been translated, so i'm wondering if joining TP will make more mess
> that this is worth.
>
> On other hand, Mailman translators can make TP stronger. Stronger
> language teams can translate more GNU software, and that sounds nice.
>
> Conclusion: I think, that merging Mailman translations with TP is better
> for TP than for Mailman.
> Personally, Mailman is closer for me, so I'm neutral :)

Thanks for the feedback.  So far, it sounds like a -0 for moving to TP.

-Barry