[Mailman-i18n] Should we join the Translation Project?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Oct 11 21:25:18 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 17:46, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Importing the PO files can be done very quickly - e.g. submitting
> the URL of a distribution file to translation at iro.umontreal.ca would be
> sufficient.

Cool.

> However, the mailman challenge might be incorporation of the HTML
> templates.

I'm actually much less worried about these, since I plan to move to ZPT,
which means that translators would not need to do whole-template
translations any more.  We can extract translatable strings from the ZPT
and put them in the pot file.

> For quite some time now, the TP has the notion of "external" (to the TP)
> translations. This allows translators to submit their work directly to
> the maintainer (e.g. through CVS) if they wish so. On the TP pages, the
> status of these translations will be "external" - telling team members
> that they don't need to look into this translation (in the past, they
> would start working on a translation, only to find out it already
> exists).
>
> Translators would need to "join" their teams, which basically means they
> need to introduce themselves to the team leader of their respective
> language, indicating that they do the mailman translation. Whether or
> not they join the team's mailing list, and whether or not they also look
> at the other work of the team is their choice. Joining the team mailing
> list is recommended, of course.

Cool, thanks for the info.  I still leave it up to the i18n folks to
decide which way to go.

-Barry