[Mailman-i18n] encoding problem in cron/mailpasswds

Bartosz Sawicki sawickib at iem.pw.edu.pl
Fri Dec 3 16:40:26 CET 2004

Hi there,

Before new Mailman subversion will be released I'd like to clarify one
think inside cron/mailpasswds script. Which in my opinion is buggy for
all non unicode translations.
Polish translation works perfect accept one think - monthy remainder is
sended with wrong encoding. Do other of you notice this problem?

I think source of problem is in file cron/mailpasswds, lines 208-209:

             # Coerce everything to Unicode
             text = tounicode(text, enc)
             table = [tounicode(_t, enc) for _t in table]

Which is done for every language, and every encoding. After than
reminder text is given to Message.UserNotification class, where
additional encoding magic is done.

I many other places where Message.UserNotification is used no extra
encoding translations is made before(e.g. Mailman/Deliverer.py). So the
question is:
What for we "Coerce everything to Unicode"?

If I comment out this two lines in cron/mailpasswds, encoding problem
disappers - polish reminders are emailed with proper iso-8859 & QP.
So if there is not certain reason to "coerce everything", I propose to
delete this two lines.

cheers
BArtek