[Mailman-i18n] Registered at Rosetta

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Dec 6 05:03:21 CET 2005

Tokio Kikuchi wrote:
> Yeah, but we are separating translations from the main developement.  We
> can release mailman-2.2 without translations indicating the user to
> download from other sites (or in separate packages).  Translation is a
> kind of `modification' and the article 5 indicates the act of
> modification and distribution itself implies acceptance of the GPL.

That's not the point: any contributor already has accepted the GPL.
The issue is whether the FSF could ever defend the GPL in court:
if there are many authors of the software (and translators *are*
authors), the court might think that the FSF is just one of the many
authors, and can't speak for all of them.

So they try to reduce the number of authors of the software.

Regards,
Martin