[Mailman-i18n] Registered at Rosetta

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at firmix.at
Tue Dec 6 09:45:46 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 05:03 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Tokio Kikuchi wrote:
> > Yeah, but we are separating translations from the main developement.  We
> > can release mailman-2.2 without translations indicating the user to
> > download from other sites (or in separate packages).  Translation is a
> > kind of `modification' and the article 5 indicates the act of
> > modification and distribution itself implies acceptance of the GPL.
>
> That's not the point: any contributor already has accepted the GPL.
> The issue is whether the FSF could ever defend the GPL in court:
> if there are many authors of the software (and translators *are*
> authors), the court might think that the FSF is just one of the many

So the GPL also holds for none-software in the US since translations are
pure text as such (i.e. the simple translation of a .po file partly into
another language) and not software in the sense of Austrian author's
rights law (at least)?

And BTW it is not possible to give away your author's right in
continental European law (at least in .at and AFAIK .de) - you may just
grant all rights to use (exclusively or non-exclusively) of your "work".
Which is IMHO (sorry, IANAL) more than enough for all practical reasons
regarding GPL etc.)

> authors, and can't speak for all of them.

Is it necessary to have *all* author's (i.e. 100% of them) in court or
is it enough to have the contributors of the majority of content (say >
50% or so) or some (in whatever way defined) "core team"?

> So they try to reduce the number of authors of the software.

Yes, obviously. The question is this is desirable.

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services