[Mailman-i18n] Registered at Rosetta

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Dec 6 18:31:32 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 10:25 +0900, Tokio Kikuchi wrote:

> Should we all need to sign the paper?

There was some debate about this over on rosetta-users.

It's definitely true that translations are already covered by the GPL,
but the FSF imposes the additional requirement of copyright assignment,
as Martin says, to reduce the number of authors.  The FSF believes
(although I don't know whether this have ever been tested in practice)
that this helps them defend the GPL, should that ever become necessary.

Tokio and others have already assigned or disclaimed for the Mailman
project, so technically you wouldn't need to do anything to continue to
contribute translations to Mailman.  The thought was that by signing the
disclaimer on Rosetta, you could then contribute translations to any of
the GNU projects hosted there.

I'm definitely open to suggestions.  My primary goal is first, to make
Mailman easier to contribute to, and second, to make it easier to
maintain.  Mailman 2 is a GNU project so I think we should continue to
support the procedures the FSF requests of GNU projects as much as
possible, for now at least.  But if people think the requirements are
too onerous, please let us know!

-Barry